Happy Earth Day! On April 22nd, we celebrate the planet we call home! There are many things you can to to take part in celebrating this important day. In 2019, the theme for he year is PROTECT OUR SPECIES.
If you are unfamiliar with what Earth Day is, let’s take a look at what the Earth Day website has to share…
What Is It:
“Earth Day is now a global event each year, and we believe that more than 1 billion people in 192 countries now take part in what is the largest civic-focused day of action in the world.
It is a day of political action and civic participation. People march, sign petitions, meet with their elected officials, plant trees, clean up their towns and roads. Corporations and governments use it to make pledges and announce sustainability measures. Faith leaders, including Pope Francis, connect Earth Day with protecting God’s greatest creations, humans, biodiversity and the planet that we all live on.”
What You Can Do:
Now that you know a little more about the holiday, what are some things you can do to celebrate?
- Plant a tree
- Volunteer! This can be done in many ways. Whether it is cleaning up a park or teaching kids about the outdoors!
- Create recycling plan for your home
- Spend time outside, alone, with your kids, a friend, or with your grandkids
- Place something in your yard for birds or bees like a bird bath, bird feeder, or flowers
- Learn about endangered species in our community, our state, and around the world. Then learn about things YOU can do to help protect them!
- Attend a local event!
Here Are Some Events in the Fox Cities to Check Out:
Let us know what you are doing or did do to celebrate our planet! Comment below!